Bug 693843

Summary: libgs/gsapi fails to render some files when on a locale that uses , instead of . as separator
Product: Ghostscript Reporter: Albert Astals Cid <aacid>
Component: GeneralAssignee: Chris Liddell (chrisl) <chris.liddell>
Status: RESOLVED FIXED QA Contact: Bug traffic <tech>
Severity: normal    
Priority: P4 CC: carlosgc, chris.liddell, egutierrezposse, gok+ghostscriptbugs, jackie.rosen, marc.maurice, norak2
Version: 9.07   
Hardware: PC   
OS: Linux   
Customer: Word Size: ---

Description Albert Astals Cid 2013-04-07 14:18:24 UTC
Discussed with you guys a month ago on IRC about it but then lost time and seems this has gone unfixed yet.

If you are using libgs/gsapi and a locale enabled program some files fail to render in a locale that uses , instead of . as separator.

Example https://bugs.kde.org/attachment.cgi?id=77770

The suggested workaround was to use setlocale on what calls the libgs/gsapi functions but there is a concern that setlocale might interfere with the rest of threads of the same process.

So it would be good if this could be fixed at the gs level.

I volunteer to try to fix it if you point me to the part of the code that has the "broken" locale dependant parsing.
Comment 1 Chris Liddell (chrisl) 2013-04-08 07:39:21 UTC
Thanks for opening this.

FWIW, it hadn't been forgotten, we're just not agreed on the method to implement the fix.
Comment 2 Carlos Garcia Campos 2013-04-10 18:02:20 UTC
In libspectre we have this implementation of strtod that doesn't need to change the locale:


It's based on g_ascii_strtod from glib see:


Hope it helps
Comment 3 Chris Liddell (chrisl) 2013-05-07 08:21:25 UTC
Fixed in:


I pulled in the "trio" sprintf/scanf "library" to give us a sprintf() over which we have control.
Comment 4 Marc MAURICE 2013-05-07 15:04:40 UTC

Thanks for the fix.

Though the LANG=C workaround is easy for commandliners, is it possible to quickly have a fix release, so that it can make it to the distros packages?

For now, it's breaking all PS viewers (evince, okular), from Ubuntu to Archlinux.


Thanks in advance,
Comment 5 Chris Liddell (chrisl) 2013-05-07 15:21:38 UTC
Next release is scheduled for August, we won't be doing one earlier.

Distro's often pull changes in before official releases - despite our protestations.
Comment 6 Marc MAURICE 2013-05-07 15:51:43 UTC
My archlinux version is ghostscript 9.07
according to ghostscript.com this is the official release.

What do you suggest to maintainers then ? wait for the release in August ?
Apply the small commit patch ?
Comment 7 Chris Liddell (chrisl) 2013-05-07 16:02:36 UTC
(In reply to comment #6)
> What do you suggest to maintainers then ? wait for the release in August ?
> Apply the small commit patch ?

Yes, either will work.